Parkstad Theatres – Heerlen
Revitalisation/refurbishment of the Municipal Theatre (1964) and extension with a newly built multipurpose Medium Auditorium. The existing building was completely stripped down to the bare concrete structure and rebuilt as if it were a new building. The Medium Auditorium is designed as a theatre- and concert hall. It incorporates all required technical and acoustic facilities to serve as the main pop concert venue of the region South Limburg (it has been classified as a ‘Large Pop Venue’. The Province of Limburg provided the additional budget needed to achieve this goal.
Therefore this hall’s name is ‘Limburgzaal’.
Client’s Ambition and Quality Standard
It was the client´s aim to restore the 50 year old theatre to the same level as the other leading theatres in the country and preferably better. In other words, the national and international (touring) theatre companies and music ensembles should experience that performing in Heerlen is at least as fine as in their own première venues.
Our Scope of Work
- Complete rebuilding and enlargement of the main theatre/concert auditorium and fly tower within the existing structure. Enlargement of the existing proscenium opening width from 12 to 16 m; new seating plan (more leg space, better sight lines) including greater seating capacity (from 890 to 1,156 seats) increase of the height of the fly tower (new roof structure); greatly improved and enlarged orchestra pit.
The main hall is a home of the South Netherlands Philharmonic, Opera South and the Southern Drama Company. National and international touring companies perform here on an annual basis (drama, cabaret, show, musical, ballet, contemporary dance, famous orchestras and recitalists)
- Extension of the building with a new and technically creative multipurpose hall which accommodates a number of different formats:
- a. studio theatre with 350 to 500 seats on retractable platforms, open as well as proscenium format as a “hall-in-hall” concept, thrust stage, theatre-in-the-round, cat walk etc.
- b. chamber music concert hall with 350 seats: “hall-in-hall” concept includes concert shell
- c. concert shell size is adjustable to number of musicians: recital, chamber orchestra, symphony orchestra, choir etc.
- d. rock concerts etc. with up to 1,200 standees
- e. stage divided in 6 platforms to adjust size and level (between 0.00 and 1.53 m) to the performance requirements
- f. all sorts of events (conferences, parties, exhibitions etc.).
- New and very complete technical theatre installations included state-of-the-art technical stage installations (machinery, lighting, sound, seats etc.). Design of removable orchestra shells in both auditoria.
- Both halls are equipped with variable acoustics installations (mechanic and electronic acoustic architecture.
- ClientCity of Heerlen
- ArchitectAGS Architecten en Planners
- Project duration2002 - 2013
- Gross Floor Area13.000 m2
- Main hall 1.060 seats
- Small hall350 – 500 seats
- Total Building Costs€ 46,4 million excl. VAT
- Theatre Installations€ 11,5 million excl. VAT