Lantaren Venster (Lantern Window) – Rotterdam
LantarenVenster knows a rich history since its start in 1949 as theatre for film, dance, theatre and music. It’s the place-to-be in Rotterdam for art film and world cinema, to go back to film classics, to be surprised by documentaries and good children’s films. LantarenVenster programs a hundred concerts each season. The jazz genre has a wide interpretation similar to the programming of for example the North Sea Jazz festival (in the Ahoy complex, Rotterdam) and of the BIM-huis in Amsterdam.
Integration of modern technical stage and cinema installations, embedded in an atmospheric architectural design of which the casco shell was already completely built.
• design, tendering, supervision and commissioning of all technical stage and cinema equipment, including seating layout, sight lines etc.
• intensive collaboration with the users.
A special cultural experience in an 800 standee concert space, but als a theatre/árt-film-house with 5 auditoria which offer unprecedented seating comfort through an advanced and progressive seat design. Since November 2010 LantarenVenster is accommodate in a beautifully light and spacious building, situated on a unique location on the redeveloped Wilhelminapier. It is internationally well-known for its versatile film and concert programming. Besides this, all spaces are very suitable for business events etc.
- ClientCity of Rotterdam (NL)
- ArchitectAlvaro Siza (Portugal)
- Project duration2008 - 2010
- Gross Floor Area300 seats or 400 standees
- Main hall 500 standeesplaatsen + 4 small theatre halls / cinemas